Every year, people make decisions involving billions of dollars, based on the value of businesses or business assets. More and more parties to these transactions now demand thorough, complete valuation analyses by professional business-valuation specialists.
The Garcia & Ortiz Litigation Consulting Group offers the experience and credentials to meet this growing demand. Our full range of valuation-related services, in coordination with legal counsel, includes expert testimony and assistance in trial preparation and settlement negotiations, as well as in business transactions.
However well conceived and executed, a strategy without a reliable value assessment has little hope of success. We help you succeed in business valuations with the following procedures:
Valuation Issues in Lost-Profits Calculations
- Determine the impact of unfair competitive practices on the value of a business.
- Valuate business opportunities lost due to patent or copyright infringement and/or defamation of business reputation.
- Calculate the value of profits lost due to business interruption or diminished capacity.
- Determine the value of a business enterprise before and after breach of contract.
Valuation in Mergers and Acquisitions
- Valuate business enterprises for potential sale or as collateral for acquisitions.
- Determine the value of companies targeted for acquisition.
- Assess the adequacy of loan and bad-debt reserves of financial institutions targeted for acquisition.
Valuation Issues in Business and Marital Dissolution
- Business enterprises for buyout agreements.
- Businesses for stock purchase or stock equivalent plans.
- A business interest for partnership dissolution.
- Business enterprises in divorce proceedings.
- Business enterprises in dissident-shareholder disputes.
- Distinguish between professional goodwill and practice goodwill during the valuation of professional practices in divorce proceedings.
Valuation Related to Tax Issues
- Determine the value of a business enterprise for estate-tax and gift-tax purposes.
- Valuate charitable contributions of business interests.
- Determine intangible assets’ value/useful life for depreciation purposes.
- Determine discounts for minority interests, lack of marketability, and premiums for control in income tax, gift-tax and estate-tax matters.
- Valuate business interests received in satisfaction of loans and the resulting bad-debt deductions for income-tax purposes.
Valuation Issues in Bankruptcy
- Establish the liquidation value of assets and the going-concern value of companies in bankruptcy.
- Determine the solvency of business enterprises involved in disputes alleging fraudulent conveyance.
- Determine the value of debt and equity instruments in reorganization planning.
- Calculate the extent of insolvency to determine stock-for-debt income.
A Sample of Some of the Businesses We Have Valued
- Accounting Practice
- Bar and Lounge Business
- Boat Sales and Service
- Book Store
- Cigar Manufacturer
- Cigarette Distributor Wholesale
- Concrete Products Manufacturer
- Dental Practice
- Dental Laboratory
- Electrical Contractor
- Environmental Products Distributor
- Franchise Instant Printing Shop
- Franchise Beauty Shop
- Franchise Fast Food Restaurant
- Hotel and Motel
- Insurance Wholesaler
- Insurance Retailer
- Insurance Underwriter
- Large High End Restaurant
- Law Practice
- Marina - Boating
- Medical Practice
- Nursery and Landscaping
- Paint Brush Manufacturer
- Patio and Screen Room Contractor
- Pet Supply Wholesale
- Pets Store
- Printed Circuit Board Materials Distributor Wholesale
- Retail Package Liquor Store
- Shoe Retailer and Wholesaler
- Snack Food Distributor
- Veterinary Practice
- Video/Movie Distribution
- Wholesale Beer Distributor